Wednesday, May 30, 2012

inspiration from mary oliver.

I find inspiration in words constantly and more often than not, I make sure to write them somewhere so I can peek at them later. A while ago, I realized that a lot of the quotations I've scribbled down were from Mary Oliver. Below are some of my favourites. 


+ Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

+ Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

+ I believe in kindness. Also in mischief. Also in singing, especially when singing is not necessarily prescribed.

+ Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.

+ To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work.

+ You can have the other words -- chance, luck, coincidence, serendipity. I'll take grace. I don't know what it is exactly, but I'll take it.

+ Still, what I want in my life is to be willing to be dazzled -- to cast aside the weight of facts and maybe even to float a little above this difficult world.

+ I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings.

Doesn't she look like she lived a full life?

(Photo via Cleveland Arts Prize)

4 comments:

  1. I am loving this post, and enjoy reading your other posts as well. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mary Oliver. She's my favorite poet :) Your blog is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to find another Mary Oliver reader. She is one of a kind! I had the great privilege to hear her read some of her poems a few years ago. It's one thing to read it yourself, another to hear it spoken by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...