Sunday, December 09, 2012

I hate insurance companies and I miss Canada.

So, for the past three months, my body has not been working the way it's supposed to. We'll leave it at that for now, and I'll just tell you that a couple of my new friends in China managed to convince me that I should see a doctor. (With a little help from the Internet. Nothing like googling your symptoms to make you realize that maybe you should get checked out.)

Which is why I have spent what feels like forever on the phone with my insurance company. I've talked to at least 9 different people, all of them bouncing me to the next person, even while I was practically yelling, "No! I already talked to..." (Cue annoying instrumental music.)

Which is why I put my hands over my eyes and moaned to my admin lady at work, "I miss Canada." Medicare, you guys. I never realized how great it is.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. I hate insurance companies, or at least my insurance company, and I miss Canada.

But, I did see a doctor and she was really nice. She explained things to me and answered my billion questions and didn't seem to mind when I kept asking how much things would cost and shoving paperwork at her. (Frickin' insurance.)

1400 RMB (over $200 CAD) later, I left the clinic with some answers as to why my body sucks right now and a prescription. (Fingers crossed insurance will cover the cost. I just have to mail them a bunch of paperwork, and I'll probably have to talk to a few more people who will insist, "Ohhh, you need to talk to so and so. Hold one minute while I transfer you.")

On the bright side, I was able to find my way back to my apartment by myself. AND! I ended up walking past the fruit and veggie market so I was able to stock up on fruit for the week. AND! I walked past a guy using nunchucks. His skills rivaled those of a Ninja Turtle. Cowabunga!

Seriously though, I'm okay. Just a little concerned but, hey, that's life. And even if insurance doesn't cover the cost, at least I know something's up and there are answers. (I always worry that nothing is wrong and I'm just wasting everyone's time.)

P.S. The clinic had a fancy toilet. As in, it had a heated seat and could massage your bum if you wanted. I didn't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...